Monday, April 30, 2012

Lesson Plan:African American Rights Reflection

On Friday, April 27th, Desi and I taught a lesson on African American Rights. We mainly covered the Civil Rights Movement, Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. We changed our entire lesson plan the day before because it seemed a little boring. We really wanted to cover every type of learner. I feel really happy about how our lesson turned out. In the beginning, I felt a little nervous to speak to the class. I get nervous when a large group of people stare at me. I usually looked down in the past when I spoke in front of a class. I think I did a good job trying to give eye contact to the class. I realized that I mispelled "Malcolm" towards the end of the class on the power point and on the hand outs, but I was releived when Dr. Luongo said tht it has happened to her plenty of times. Overall, I feel that the lesson went by smoothly and it went accordingly to our new lesson plan. I'm glad that most of the students behaved through out the lesson. My favorite part of the lesson was the MLK and MX game towards the end of the class. I always enjoyed doing those types of activities when I was in High School so I'm glad that everyone was having fun while they were learning. There was one point where Alma said she couldn't speak english; she only knew how to speak spanish. I kind of frove because I did not know what to do at first but luckily, Ledey was next to her and I told her to help Alma in spanish. After handling that situation, I felt more relaxed. I defitnetly would want to use this type of lesson in a real class room when I start teaching.

3 comments:

  1. I thought that your lesson was very informative. I really enjoyed all the different media you incorporated such as videos, and audio. I also thought that having us bring out our artistic side towards the end was a great way to rap up the lesson. I thought it was great. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lesson was really good. You and Desi made a great team. The powerpoint was very effective and I loved the videos on Malcom X and Martin Luther King. The sum it up project was great. What I enjoyed the most was the activity we did towards the end. When the class was divided into two groups and we had to discuss what each person, (Malcom X and martin Luther king) and how they were different.
    It was a great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janel,

    Your lesson was great! Your digital story was extremely informative and the activity with the drawing of MLK Jr. and Malcolm X was a great idea! It allowed the students to express the information they had learned from your lesson in a non-traditional way! You and Desi both have great attitudes toward teaching and also an extensive knowledge of the subject matter. You will both be great teachers! Good job!

    ReplyDelete